While I’m awaiting my next visit with my cardiologist to get the results of my stress test and echocardiogram, I need to post an updated supplement post. (Oh, heh, yeah, funny story. I’m showing signs now that might be POTS – postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome – stuff that I’ve felt all my life and even thought was “just fibro.” Including instances of getting light-headed and syncope/near-syncope. And I’ve had chronically low blood pressure all my life.)
Since my last long post about the supplements I’m taking to help with my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, I’ve changed a couple of things. So here goes, remember that your mileage may vary, I’m not a doctor, consult with your health care provider, don’t run with scissors, and never, EVER fuck the unicorn after midnight in his free-candy van.
Glitter. (Just sayin’.)
Here’s what I’m currently taking.
If you’re keeping score, you’ll remember that I quit Cymbalta cold-turkey after it stopped working, and Lyrica stopped working for me after sixty days.
My three prescriptions right now are:
- 10 mg cyclobenzaprine (generic for Flexeril), I take at bedtime (helps with sleep). I can take up to two a day if I want. (Sometimes in bad flares, when I get the really bad myofascial knots on my shoulders, I take a second one during the day.)
- .5 mg alprazolam (generic for Xanax) which I now take one nightly with the Flexeril and together, they’ve helped me get a good night’s sleep most nights. (And I can take up to three a day if I want.)
- Naproxin (basically 2.5 Aleve) which I take as needed, up to two a day.
- B-12 sublingual in the morning. (Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12, 5,000 micrograms). Energy.
L-5-HTP 100mg at night. (Richard’s WellCare Formulas, European L-5-HTP 100 mg). Take at bedtime with the Flexeril, really helps with sleep. (Note: If you are taking any kind of prescription medication that plays with serotonin levels, you MUST talk with your doctor. Too much can cause serotonin syndrome.)I don’t take this anymore because the nightly combo of the Flexeril and Xanax helps me sleep.
- Malic Acid with Magnesium. (KAL Malic Acid with Magnesium, 4 daily) This was recommended to me through someone in a fibro group I’m in. They are 4 horse pills, and it takes a few weeks to build up in the system sometimes and start working, so if you try it, don’t give up after a couple of days. Some people report symptom improvement with a smaller dose, but play with it and see what works for you. 4 is the “daily serving” and seems to be what works for me. (If you have issues with kidney stones, you will want to be especially careful and talk to your physician about this.) I order it from LuckyVitamin.com (NAYY).
- Lecithin, 1,200 mg. (NOW Lecithin 1,200 mg). I have noticed less brain fog since taking this.
Super Omega-3 Fish, Flax & Borage Oils. (Finest Nutrition Super Omega-3 Fish, Flax & Borage Oils.)I’ve switched to hemp oil capsules for now to see how they work. Only been a month, so too soon to tell.
- Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM (1,500mg Glucosamine, 200mg Chondroitin, 100mg MSM). I am still trying different brands of this, and sometimes the dosage varies a little depending on the manufacturer. Joint support.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract GCA (Jarrow Formulas Green Coffee Bean Extract, 400 mg). Energy. I take this early in the day, usually with my other supplements, unless I forget to take them until after lunch, then I don’t take it because it screws with my sleep.)
- One-A-Day Women’s, Active Metabolism (multivitamin).
- Been taking this a couple of months now: Jarrow Formulas – Astaxanthin – 4 miligrams, 60 Softgels (I first posted about it here.)
- (New) Manitoba Harvest – Hemp Oil Essential Fatty Acid Supplement 1000 mg. – 60 Capsules I’m taking this in place of the Super Omega 3 capsules I was taking.
- (New) NOW Foods – Curcumin 665 mg. – 60 Vegetarian Capsules
- (New) Source Naturals – Wellness Formula – 240 Capsules I don’t know why this stuff works, but it does. I take one a day for maintenance, but when I feel like I’m getting sick, I up the dose and it helps knock it out. Doesn’t knock out flares, unfortunately. LOL
- FibroFree Complex: http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/fibrofreecomplex-muscle-pain-and-fatigue.html
- Fatigue Fighter: http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/fatigue-fighter-support-healthy-energy-levels.html
- PureCalm: http://www.nativeremedies.com/products/purecalm-natural-anxiety-remedy-calms-stress.html
Sooo…that’s me. Hope it’s of help to anyone needing to try something.