How’s your NaNoWriMo project coming? Are you behind on your word count? Are you panicking already?
Keep something in mind–whether or not you finish your project on time or not is irrelevant. It doesn’t make you a loser to not have 50k words done by the end of the month.
What IS important is that you’re writing at all.
Some arbitrary word count does NOT define you as a writer. Makes no difference at all. But what CAN hurt you as a writer is beating yourself up for not “making it” in NaNoWriMo.
I don’t understand why this cockamamie thing was set to take place on one of the ABSOLUTE worst months possible for the North American calendar. We’ve got Thanksgiving coming up in the US, along with Christmas. Family stress. Financial stress. People getting sick more frequently (thanks flu season). WEATHER STRESS. (Is too a thing.)
I mean, there are fewer things less conducive to the creative process than dumping a heaping helping of all this bullshit on top of a writer’s life and then saying, “Oh, here, to ‘win’ you have to write 50k in 30 days.”
OH, and that’s another thing, they couldn’t have picked a month that was thirty-one days to do it in?
It breaks my heart every year seeing writers beat themselves up for “losing” NaNo.
That TOTALLY defeats the point of doing it in the first place.
So I want you to STOP, BREATHE, and take a moment to look around you. Do you have kids/family you’re ignoring this holiday season? Are you adding stress to your plate because of your job and trying to wedge a word count into place?
Don’t get me wrong, some people THRIVE on the stress, on the deadline pressures, on the excitement of it all.
I’m not talking to you people.
I’m talking to the writers quietly in tears because they already feel less-than about one MORE thing in their lives because they have only 1k written and everyone else is halfway done.
I’m talking to the writers who are needlessly flagellating themselves over not being “as good as” other writers.
I’m talking to the writers who feel they’ll never finish their book and are beating themselves up because this is yet another thing they’ve “failed” at.
Those are the writers I’m talking to, and I want you to listen to me:
You’re good enough for YOU. If you only wrote twenty words today, that’s good enough. If you sit down every day and manage to outline a scene, that’s good enough. If you sat down today and you wrote three lines of dialogue, that’s good enough.
That’s good enough.
NaNoWriMo is supposed to “inspire” writers and bring them together for camaraderie and unite them.
Unfortunately, there is a dark side to it, and I need you to NOT beat yourself up over this.
Sitting down every day to chip away at your story with only a few dozen words here or there, if that’s all you can do?
And don’t you dare forget it.
- Numb As a Statue (Suncoast Society) – Available for Pre-Order
- Word of Mouth (Suncoast Society)
- Dignity (Determination Trilogy 1) – Available for Pre-Order
- Diligence (Determination Trilogy 2) – Available for Pre-Order
- Desire (Determination Trilogy 3) – Available for Pre-Order
- Poly – Available for Pre-Order
- Dirge (Devastation Trilogy 1) – Available for Pre-Order
- Solace (Devastation Trilogy 2) – Available for Pre-Order
- Release (Devastation Trilogy 3) – Available for Pre-Order
- Jailmates (Maxim Colonies) – Available for Pre-Order
- Happy Spank-O-Ween (Suncoast Society)
- Suit and Tied (Suncoast Society)
- The Great Turning: Into the Turn (The Great Turning 2)
- Bleacke Spirit (Bleacke Shifters 4)
- Disorder in the House (Suncoast Society)
- Chief (Governor Trilogy 3)
- A Certain Girl (Suncoast Society)
- Lieutenant (Governor Trilogy 2)
- Governor (Governor Trilogy 1)
- Searching for a Heart (Suncoast Society)
Coming Soon | Pre-Orders
Series Info | Audiobooks
Facebook group Tymber’s Trybe
Tymber’s Facebook Page | Lesli’s Facebook Page
Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Tymber’s Amazon Author Page | Lesli’s Amazon Author Page
Tymber’s BookBub Page | Lesli’s BookBub Page
My Siren-BookStrand Author Page
Hubby’s Amazon Author Page as Jon Dalton
Hubby’s Amazon Author Page as Haley Jordan